2019 Hall of Honor Inductees
Mr. and Mrs. Kirkpatrick owned the Wylie Superette from 1929 until 1969. Charlie and Mary Davis later owned the store, which was at the corner of Buffalo Gap Road and Antilley Lane, where Mr. Burger is now. The store was built at that site in 1903 and was owned and operated by several different people over the years. Most people remember it as Charlie’s, but the Kirkpatricks actually owned it longer than any other owner.
Betty Kruger has volunteered for the Wylie schools for more than 20 years. She started volunteering at the old Butterfield campus and now volunteers at the West Early Childhood Center.
Rentz is a former Wylie teacher, parent and school board member. She served on the school board for 13 years. In 2010, she saw that many districts in Texas were creating education foundations to help the schools with technology and other costs that the state did not cover. She created the Wylie Bulldogs Education Foundation as a nonprofit to raise funds to promote excellence in the schools. The foundation celebrates its 10th fundraising dinner on Oct. 3. Becky has served as board president and director since it began. Under her leadership, the WBEF has donated more than $480,000 to the schools in the form of teacher grants, senior scholarships and new teacher support.